Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On the Death of Dr. Robert N. Butler



We have all lost an ally this week, all of us who are aging that is, whether we be five or one hundred and five. 

I was stunned and saddened today to learn that Dr. Robert N. Butler died on July 4th. Just writing that seems implausible to me.

Two weeks ago I was in New York City interviewing Dr. Butler for a video biography project. We reviewed much of his life and work and touched on many topics, including death and illness. I don't know if he knew then how sick he was, but he didn't let on about it. He was gracious and warm, funny and poised. He was exactly as I would have expected such a great and prominent man to be - almost noble in his demeanor. I was initially drawn to the idea of doing a video biography with Dr. Butler because of the incalculable impression he has made upon the landscape of gerontology and geriatrics. It was wonderful to discover that, beyond his career achievements, he was also a genuine gentleman with a gracious perspective on the world. He was a tremendous humanitarian whose life's work fought against the pernicious impact of ageism, and he still had his sights set on so much more to do. He was in the midst of two significant new projects which I hope will be continued in honor of his work.

My thoughts and prayers go to Dr. Butler's family, friends and colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! I love discourse!